If you are looking for a clean yet potent hit, ice wax dabs could be just what you need. It is a bubble hash collected using ice and water to separate the plant’s THC from frozen matter. Next, you filter it through an array of mesh screens of differently sized microns. The result is a fine, grainy textured wax that should look like sand from a pristine beach. When you dab ice wax, it will melt fully and leave practically no residue.
Ice wax conentrate is among the most potent types of marijuana concentrates one can make without the aid of solvents. Normally, it is necessary to use a solvent such as butane when making a concentrate, but ice wax is different.
How to Make Ice Wax Dabs
If you aim to make high-quality ice wax (and you should), you need to get your material from marijuana plants with plenty of trichomes. If you use low-grade brick weed, your ice wax will look and taste awful, and not provide you with the potent hit you seek. According to industry experts, the best ice wax comes from plant material frozen immediately after first being hand-trimmed.
You will need several micron-sized bubble bags in varying sizes. Ideally, you will have 5-gallon bags or bubble bowls with 70, 90, 120, and 160 microns. The more screens you use to filter the material, the purer it will be.
Speed is of the essence when making ice wax. The faster you get it done, the fewer flavonoids, cannabinoids, and terpenes are lost. Experts agree that it is all too easy to allow the outside layers of the material, containing all of the aroma and flavor, to be washed away if you soak it for too long.
Before you start on your journey of how to make ice wax dabs, make sure you’ve secured the following:
- A full set of bubble bags or bowls in various micron sizes
- A spray bottle
- Three large buckets
- Cold water and a bag of ice
- High-quality marijuana matter with lots of trichomes
- A work bag
- A thick card
Now, here is a step-by-step guide to help you make ice wax concentrate.
- Put the empty workbag into one of the buckets. Add the plant matter and ice in alternating layers until nothing is left. Add enough cold water to cover this mixture and let it settle for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add more cold water to thin out the mixture. Once it reaches a soupy consistency, agitate the solution for up to 20 minutes. Be careful not to wash away the outside layers of the weed.
- Take out the work bag and drain it; make sure you squeeze out any excess liquid. Stack your bubble bags over another bucket with the smallest micron bag on the bottom and the largest on top. Ideally, you will vent the bucket with ¼ inch holes. Squeeze the bubble bags together to create a seal. If you have bags with even smaller microns, stack them over the third bucket with the largest on top. Squeeze these bags to form a seal.
- Pour the water solution over the 160-70-micron bag stack and rinse the first bucket to ensure there is no solution left. Lift your full stack of bags and tilt it at an angle. As the mesh on the bottom is draining, take the largest micron bag off the top and start gathering material from it. Use the spray bottle to clean the mesh.
- After your stack has been drained, pour the remaining solution over the second stack of smaller micron bags. As the second stack bags drain, continue gathering material from the first stack that should be set aside at this stage. Pour the puddle straight onto a pressing screen.
- Gather more material from the second stack and use the card to clear up any leftover water; it should act as a ‘squeegee.’ Once you are satisfied that you have enough material, dry it for up to 36 hours. If you want to make very large amounts, you can press it with a rolling pin and free up moisture pockets. Once it is dry, it is time to dab your ice wax. Incidentally, you can chop up your wax and spread it out for faster drying. You don’t want trapped water as it interferes with the taste and smell of the wax.
How to Smoke Ice Wax Dabs
There are several ways to smoke your ice wax; some are better than others. Here, we explain the most popular techniques in the hopes that you can choose the best (and most practical) option for you and your needs — as well as your experience level.
Smoking Ice Wax Concentrate with a Dab Rig
This is the method we recommend. A rig is a water pipe that is modified by adding dabbing accessories such as a nail which is attached to the pipe’s intake. It can be made of several materials, but most users prefer quartz or titanium.
Add water to the rig’s chamber and blow into the downstem to see if you can cause the water to bubble. If any water splashes into your mouth during the process, pour some of it out. If you are using a quartz or titanium nail for the first time, it is important to ‘season’ it. When new nails are heated, they can leach out natural minerals and give your wax an unpleasant taste.
Season your nail by placing it on the rig and heat it with a torch until the nail glows bright red. Apply some essential oil on the head of the nail. When it is fully coated, remove the nail with tongs and put it in a bowl of water. Experts recommend repeating the process at least three more times before adding concentrate.
Pick up a small amount of ice wax with your dab tool and set it aside. Heat up the nail; making sure the flame of the torch is always pointed away from the rig. Wait for the nail to glow red and then wait another 45 seconds before placing your wax on the nail. Inhale the glorious vapor through the mouthpiece until you can’t see any more vapor in the rig’s chamber.
When the vapor is clear, lower the rig and exhale. You can go through this process as many times as you wish, but because ice wax is so potent, you’ll be stoned in no time. After completing the session, heat the end of the tool that touched the ice wax. Wipe it clean with an alcohol swab or a cloth while the residue is warm and easy to remove.
Vaping Ice Wax Dabs
This is another good method of consuming ice wax. You can go through our list of reviews to see if there is a vape pen that suits your needs. A basic pen has a cartridge, battery, mouthpiece, and atomizer, but vaporizer brands are keen to stay ahead of the game and are now producing devices of incredible quality.
Imagine being able to heat your ice wax to whatever temperature you want. It is now possible, and most vaporizers turn wax into vapor in a matter of seconds. Your method of use depends on the brand, but with old-fashioned vape pens, you need to disconnect the atomizer from the battery and place a dab of ice wax on the exposed coil. Switch on the battery and connect the atomizer to the battery. Screw on the mouthpiece and get ready to vape when the vapor is available.
Other Ways to Smoke Ice Wax Marijuana
A Healthstone is a glass insert used as a screen for a glass bubbler or bowl. Insert the healthstone into the bowl and add a dab of wax to the top of the healthstone. Use a torch to apply heat and start vaping.
Twaxing is an old-school method and involves sprinkling some ice wax into the flower you put in your joint. Make sure the wax doesn’t drip out, and you’ll have yourself an extra potent joint.
If you have ice wax but have no way to smoke it, you can take a risk by heating hot knives over a stove. Take a metallic butter knife and heat it, so the top is hot, but the handle is cool enough to allow you to hold without scalding yourself. Place the ice wax on the red-hot part of the knife and inhale the vapor. This is a very risky method which we simply don’t recommend.
Final Thoughts on Ice Wax Dabs (Hash for the New Age!)
When you make ice wax dabs correctly, you will end up with a substance that looks nothing like oil. Instead, it should resemble very clean sand, and the smell is utterly alluring. If you want it to look more like a butane hash oil dab, you’ll need to add more heat and pressure to achieve the desired consistency.
As good as ice wax is, hash makers are keen to find new techniques to improve the standard. For example, a relatively new tactic involves the use of rosin pressure at low temperatures to transform ice wax into a type of rosin that resembles live resin extracts. If you can uncover this new type of wax, expect to pay a lot of money for it.