As the health and fitness industry continues to grow in popularity, we are seeing more and more recommendations for healthy, nutrition-packed foods! These “superfoods” are claimed to be all natural, all singing, all dancing products that we should consume to bring about a healthier mind and body. Right up there along with the popularity of superfoods is the booming cannabis market and in particular, the CBD oil industry. As stand-alone concepts both CBD and superfoods are in their own rights incredibly successful. When merged as one concept for a health beneficial consumable, though, the possibilities are endless!
In this article, we are going to delve into the world of Superfood to really understand what makes them so popular. And we will see if CBD has what it takes to make the grade as a Superfood itself!
What is a superfood?
The term “superfood” cannot be tied to any specific food group or product. The idea behind a superfood is that it can provide insane amounts of nutrition, more than you would find in normal foods! A superfood is always natural, and there are plenty out there now that have made it into many people’s day to day living. From tea and seeds to spices and vegetables, you can pretty much find a superfood at any local supermarket.
So, what makes these foods “super”? Well within your standard superfood you can expect to find unparalleled amounts of vitamins and minerals. Essentially you can get your hands on an all-natural source of all the essential vitamins and minerals needed to help fight off a huge range of diseases.
While many people are still somewhat in the dark when it comes to the real benefits of a superfood diet, there are certainly an increasing amount of people who are beginning to take their health more seriously. For the health conscious who would prefer a clean diet over taking a huge range of tablets and supplements, superfoods are the answer!
In a nutshell, a superfood will not only kick-start your healthier lifestyle, but it will also provide you with fantastic vitamins, minerals and specific nutrients that your body craves! Also, while some superfoods boast high anti-oxidant levels, others are packed full of healthy fats. What’s not to love, right?
What is CBD and is it a Superfood?
With all this attention being placed on a healthy body and mind, it would be impossible not to discuss CBD! While superfoods are accepted worldwide for being beneficial, healthy and all around fantastic, CBD is often looked upon negatively.
CBD is incredibly misunderstood by the general public, as it is so often compared to THC as being a high-inducing drug. Because of this, it does not get the attention it deserves within the health and wellbeing sector.
While it is true that CBD originates from the same plant as its famous relative THC, the two are very different. While THC does provide its own list of health benefits, it also comes with a strong psychoactive effect that some love, but many disapprove of. And it is this that has given cannabis and CBD a bad reputation.
CBD, on the other hand, is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. It is 100% natural and packs such a huge list of benefits that have been widely researched over recent years. As research into this misunderstood compound has progressed, we have seen a shift in opinions across the globe, which is great and long overdue news! However, for many, the idea of taking CBD every day for our general health in the way we would eat a superfood is incredibly difficult to comprehend!
CBD is a cannabinoid, one of hundreds actually! This nifty compound works with our endocannabinoid system (ECS) to help promote the production of natural cannabinoids. It all sounds quite complicated but in fact, it is pretty simple. Our ECS is constantly producing natural cannabinoids which work to regulate our bodies and maintain a healthy condition in many areas of digestion and how we feel pain both mentally and physically! When consumed, CBD works with the ECS to help it produce even more of these natural cannabinoids. It is for this reason that CBD is now being used to treat conditions such as:
The above list is just a few of the debilitating conditions that CBD has been proven to help. So when we consider how it works with our body in a safe and natural way, it seems insane that it shouldn’t be categorized with kale and spirulina as one of the famous Superfoods!
We decided to look at a few of the most popular superfoods on the market; their benefits, their affordability, and ultimately how they compare with CBD!
Number 1 spot would probably go to Turmeric – the vibrant yellow spice that has been used for thousands of years for its incredible health benefits! Known as the ‘superspice’, Turmeric has gained a huge reputation for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Turmeric contains Curcumin, which is the not-so-secret weapon to this versatile spice! Throughout the years, Turmeric has been used to treat pain, parasites, eye conditions, and skin conditions – there is not a lot that Turmeric can’t treat!
So, what are the facts about this superfood spice?
- Turmeric has anti-oxidant properties meaning it has the ability to remove potentially damaging agents from our bodies.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Turmeric make it a versatile treatment for many conditions from IBS to ulcerative colitis.
- It is super affordable
- It is super accessible!
- It’s delicious, natural and versatile.
What are the facts about CBD and how does it match up to the superspice that is turmeric?
- In the US, CBD has actually been patented as an anti-oxidant!
- CBD has been proven to provide anti-inflammatory benefits which is why it is used so regularly in the treatment of digestion conditions.
- Perhaps less affordable than Turmeric – however CBD has many options when it comes to cost and can be bought in different forms to suit each individual.
- CBD is becoming more and more accessible across the world, as more work is done to fight the stigma attached to it.
- Perhaps not delicious in the way that Turmeric is, however it is incredibly versatile and 100% natural!
Ranking in at number 1 in the superfood family has got to be Kale – with its vibrant leafy greens and known health benefits, you only need to look at Kale to know that it’s going to be good for you!
Loaded with vitamins A, C, and K as well as loads of fiber, calcium and other minerals, Kale is one of the most popular superfoods to consume! It is also rammed full of phytonutrients, which are known for their positive impact on human health and their prevention of some diseases.
- Full of vitamins A, C, and K which provides a powerful anti-oxidant and helps the body form and maintain connective tissue.
- Tasty and easy to use in any recipe!
- Affordable and fairly easy to get hold of!
- Phytonutrients such as glucosinolates and flavonoids!
- Believed to provide anti-cancer effects!
What are the facts about CBD and how does it match up to Kale?
- CBD is a natural anti-oxidant and works with the ECS which looks after so many aspects of our internal health
- Versatile and can be consumed in a variety of ways
- CBD doesn’t trump Kale in the affordability and accessibility category. However, CBD is becoming easier to get ahold of now!
- CBD has been thought to help fight cancer, as well as being used as a treatment for many serious conditions!
Blueberries, along with many other berries, are known for their high vitamin content as well as their high levels of fiber, calcium, and anti-oxidants! Not only delicious, blueberries are often used as part of a healthy diet to help lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
The facts on this superfood berry:
- While blueberries are not the cheapest fruit or the easiest to get your hands on, they can be found in many places and can be consumed raw, cooked or even blitzed into a smoothie!
- Known as an anti-inflammatory and an anti-oxidant!
- Packed full of minerals that our body needs!
- Blueberries are also known to benefit the condition of our skin and even aid weight loss!
What are the facts about CBD and how does it match up to the humble blueberry?
- Equally as versatile, CBD has many options when it comes to consumption!
- CBD is used to treat many inflammatory conditions such as IBS and Chron’s disease.
- CBD works with our bodies natural defense system to treat a variety of unpleasant symptoms.
- CBD and the plant it comes from has been attributed to weight loss, as the ECS plays a part in this process!
Often mistaken for a vegetable, the avocado is actually a fruit that is packed full of natural healthy fats, vitamins, and potassium!
What are the facts about the Avocado superfood?
- Avocados come packed with monounsaturated fats which are oleic acid, known for its ability to lower cholesterol!
- Super nutritious
- Fibre full!
- Full of potassium (more than a banana!)
What are the facts about CBD and how does it match up to the Avocado?
- There has been little research done into CBD’s effects on cholesterol levels. However, it has been attributed to weight loss which can improve cholesterol.
- CBD does not come with fiber or nutrients in abundance. However, it does promote overall good health when used in small daily doses.
Final Thoughts About CBD as a Super Food
With research into all things CBD advancing all the time, we do hope to see CBD up there soon along with the rest of the superfoods! While there are so many others we haven’t mentioned here, the overall theme that runs throughout is that they are natural and promote health. CBD itself is absolutely no different from this – it is natural from a plant, just like all the superfoods we have discussed in this article. Also, CBD comes with no known risks or side effects, and it has been proven to work wonders on so many conditions.
So what do you think? Should CBD be classed as a Superfood? We think so!