Twelve Unique Ways to Use Hemp

Hemp is one of the most versatile plants in the world and is used to make many different things.

Hemp, also known as industrial hemp, refers to the non-psychoactive (less than 1% THC) varieties of Cannabis sativa L. Both hemp and marijuana come from the same Cannabis species, but are extremely different. They are used and also cultivated differently.

Did you know that until 1883, 75%-90% of all paper in the world was made from cannabis hemp fiber? So…

Why is Hemp Illegal?

In 1937, the Marijuana Tax Act strictly regulated the cultivation and sale of all cannabis varieties. The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 classified all forms of cannabis, as a Schedule I drug. This included Hemp. Over the years most people have forgotten the true benefits of the plant and also associate it with Marijuana.

Unlike its cousin which is normally used to smoke, Hemp is used for many different things.

Here are some unusual ways to use Hemp:

1) Walls

How to Build a Hemp House


Hemp construction has become quite popular over the last couple of years. In places like UK, Italy, France, Belguim, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada, and in the U.S, hemp is being used to build houses.

Related Article: How to Build a House from Hemp

2) Pipes

Hemp is often used a sealing compound on pipes due to its versatile texture. It is used to fill in the grooves, preventing water from leaking out.

3) Paper

75-90% of all paper in the world was made with hemp fiber until 1883. To make paper you need cellulose which is extracted from plants. In trees, there is only 30% cellulose, which means that the remaining 70% of the tree must be removed using toxic chemicals. Only then is it formed into paper. Hemp, on the other hand, has 85% cellulose.

4) Lotions

Hemp Cosmetics

Many companies are now shifting over to hemp due to its benefits. Hemp seeds feature a high concentration of many skin-friendly vitamins, including the antioxidant vitamin E, which encourages healthy skin-tissue growth, and vitamin C.

5) Shingles

Although we haven’t witnessed this, we’ve received numerous emails telling us that hemp oil has miraculous healing effects and can help with shingles. Hemp oil has been shown to be useful as an antiseptic topical treatment for infections.

6) Lamp Oil


Hemp seed oil has historically been used as lamp oil. It is said to shine the brightest of all lamp oils. Hemp seed oil lit the lamps of Abraham Lincoln, Abraham the prophet, and was used in the legendary lamps of Aladdin.

7) Car Body


According to Popular Mechanics, Henry Ford’s first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONSTRUCTED FROM HEMP!

8) Anti-Aging

Rich in the same essential fatty acids that’s present in skin lipids, hemp seed oil improves moisture and elasticity to the skin by lubricating beneath the surface.

9) Antioxidant

“Hemp seed oils have been reported to contain antioxidants and possess a remarkable radical scavenging activity and oxygen radical absorption capacity…” (Boskou Dimitrios & Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Technology, School of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)

10) Anti-inflammatory

According to researchers at the Imperial College London, hemp oil for inflammation CBD (cannabidiol) can reduce inflammation in mice by 50% at the right dosage, and can fight against type 1 diabetes

11) Plastic Alternatives

Hemp plastic is a bioplastic made by using industrial hemp, which is one of the strongest natural fibers known to man. There are a variety of hemp plastics manufactured today, from standard plastics reinforced with hemp fibres, to 100% biodegradable hemp plastics.

12) Protein Food


Hemp seeds are one of nature’s best sources of plant-based protein. It helps improve heart health, decreases osteoporosis risk, cleanses the colon, reduces sugar cravings, boosts the immune system and more…

Related Article: 4 Best Selling Hemp Seeds on Amazon | Review