By now, you’ve likely heard all about CBD oil given the fact that it’s been in and around the news for the past few years. Surely you’ve heard about the Charlotte Figi story and her epilepsy condition? Or maybe the similar story about Billy Caldwell over in the UK?
Basically, CBD has been lighting up the cannabis market in recent years due in part to its nationwide federal legality (the same can’t exactly be said for state-by-state legality), as well as its ability to seemingly offer most of the health and therapeutic benefits of cannabis, without producing any of the high.
But what are CBD crystals – have you ever heard of those? Essentially, CBD crystals are a potent, isolated form of the natural compound that contain nothing but pure, 100% CBD.
Most CBD oils actually contain several other cannabis-based compounds in addition to the actual CBD itself, including things like aromatic terpenes, phytonutrients, flavonoids, and even other non-psychoactive cannabinoids like CBG, CBN, and CBC. Like we said, however, CBD crystals are nothing but the pure, completely isolated compound of CBD by itself.
What are the benefits of CBD crystals over CBD oil, you’re likely wondering? In this article, we explain why some people prefer to use the isolate over the “full-spectrum” oil tinctures, in addition to revealing four fantastic ways you can use CBD crystals to enhance the potency of your CBD consumption.
First Things First: What Are CBD Crystals… And How Are They Made?
As we’ve mentioned, CBD crystals are a completely pure, isolated form of the CBD compound. CBD of course exists in the cannabis plant as just one of hundreds of other compounds and cannabinoids, so in order to make any kind of CBD product (oil tinctures, crystals, powders, edibles, etc), it first has to be extracted from the raw plant material.
The majority of the time this is done with industrial hemp plants (which contain very small amounts of THC), and the extracted resin is simply left as it is. In other words, the CBD is processed along with all of the other natural compounds in the plant.
The manufacturing of CBD crystals, however, goes one step further in that it separates the CBD from the resin that was extracted from the hemp plant. In this completely isolated form, CBD exists as a white, clear-ish crystalline solid, hence the name “CBD crystals.”
Are CBD Crystals Better Than CBD Oil?
To answer the question of whether or not CBD crystals are “better” than CBD oils, there have actually been a few studies showing full-spectrum CBD oil (that is, CBD oil that contains all the other hemp compounds) to be more effective under most circumstances than CBD crystal isolates.
Why is this the case? Well, it’s not exactly understood but the research shows that for whatever reason, CBD is more “efficient” when it’s subject to the presence of other cannabinoids, terpenes, etc. CBD crystal isolates can still work extremely well and be very potent, no doubt, but most people will claim that the full-spectrum oils offer more of an all-around “therapeutic effect.”
That being said, many people prefer to use CBD crystals over the whole plant tinctures, even if they don’t offer as much of an “all around” effect. Here are some of the key reasons why people use CBD crystals instead of CBD isolate:
- It contains zero THC. Believe it or not, some people have actually failed drug tests after taking full-spectrum CBD oil, as many of the most popular brands have trace amounts of THC (less than 0.3%) in them. To be completely on the safe side, a lot of people prefer the fact that crystals are 100% THC-free.
- You can add them to food and drinks. You can certainly add CBD oil to food and drinks as well, but since the compound is already saturated in a lipid base, it doesn’t really serve many purposes to actually cook with it or eat it with food. CBD crystals, on the other hand, can be added to all sorts of food and drinks in order to get a potent CBD dose without having to administer any kind of raw-tasting oil.
- You can dab them and use them in vapes! If you’re unfamiliar with CBD dabbing, it’s basically a new technique that people are using to vape/inhale incredibly potent doses of CBD, for an intense therapeutic response.
If one of these techniques appeals to you over using an oral-based CBD tincture, then perhaps CBD crystals will be the perfect way for you to experience the effects of the powerful compound. Without further ado, here are four great ways to use CBD crystals for maximum potency:
- Put them into edibles | Probably the main reason that people prefer CBD crystals over CBD oil is that you can basically cook with them however you please. You can add them to cookies, brownies, or other sweets, sprinkle them into your tea or coffee, bake with them, or even sprinkle them on top of a fancy pasta dish like parmesan cheese. All of these are incredibly tasty (and convenient) ways to get a potent CBD dose.
- Dab them | Like we mentioned, dabbing CBD for max potency is becoming a pretty popular trend – even among the older crowd that uses CBD for pain and inflammation-relieving purposes. In order to dab CBD crystals, however, you’ll of course need to invest in a dab rig, which may or may not be something that you’re willing to spend additional money on.
- Turn them into a therapeutic CBD cream | There are a lot of homesteader-type folks out there who know how to throw together a great all-natural healing balm, and adding CBD crystals to a topical cream like this can be a great way to boost the therapeutic effects. Many people are finding that they can even work to relieve muscle soreness and chronic arthritis-induced joint pain.
- Make your own CBD oil | Lastly, there are an increasing number of people out there who are simply choosing to make their own homemade CBD oils by infusing pure CBD crystals into an MCT oil or coconut oil. Doing this not only allows you to add the exact ingredients you want (and have peace of mind that the product is safe and all-natural), but it also allows you to measure out precise doses rather than trust the potentially shoddy labeling of some other brand.
- Bonus! – Use them in a vaporizer or vape pen! | OK so we couldn’t help ourselves – we had to include a 5th reason how to use CBD crystals, and given the insane popularity of CBD vaping these days, this one made perfect sense. In order to vape CBD crystals, all you have to do is sprinkle some into your vape pen or vape mod box cartridge (make sure it’s not a dry herb vaporizer, though), power on the device, and voila! – you’re inhaling potent, therapeutic doses of CBD in a manner that (at least according to most people) is much safer than actually smoking.
Final Thoughts on How to Use CBD Crystals
Well, hopefully this article provided some insight into what CBD crystals are, and more importantly how to effectively use them if you want to take advantage of their potent effects.
If you have any comments, questions or concerns feel free to chime in in the comments section down below, or like always, feel free to get in touch with us on our Facebook page! Stay green (or in this case crystal clear), everyone!