For individuals who enjoy a smoke, even in states where marijuana is legal for recreational use, employment drug testing is a pain in the ass. According to Statistics Brain, 56% of American employers make pre-employment drug tests mandatory. The annual cost of these tests is $3.7 billion. If this seems like a lot, bear in mind that employers lose an estimated $85 billion a year because of employee drug use.
Urine tests are by far the most popular and marijuana is the most commonly found drug. Therefore, if you’re close to the job of your dreams, use weed, and are called in for a drug test, your only hope of passing it is by using one of the myriads of detox methods online. The Certo Drug Test detox has been championed as one of the best ways to get clean in a hurry; but is it all hype or the real deal? Read our full review to find out.
What is Certo?
‘Certo’ is a generic name for Fruit Pectin with the trademark held by Kraft. The company also has another brand called ‘Sure Jell’ which is the same thing as Certo but with different packaging. It has been available in the United States for over 100 years but has only recently become associated with detox.
Fruit pectin is a naturally occurring polysaccharide in fruits and is extracted from sweet fruits such as peaches, pears, apples, and berries. All polysaccharides consist of long-chain monosaccharides and they are a digestible fiber. You will typically find fruit pectin in jellies and jams because of its ability to gel things together. As it is a highly soluble fiber, it does a good job of detoxifying your system. It is excreted through the system via your feces.
How Certo or Fruit Pectin Can Help Detox Your System
One of the main misconceptions about Certo is that it traps toxins by coating your stomach. In reality, it works as a typical fiber by enabling your body to absorb and expel the toxins via your fecal matter. As it forms into a gel, it absorbs more liquids than ‘normal’ fibers. As toxins that normally leave your system via urine end up in your stools, Certo is theoretically a great way to pass a urine drug test.
Here’s a more detailed explanation of how Certo detoxes your system. Fruit pectin ensures the toxins are trapped and broken down into smaller metabolites that are easier to remove. The process typically takes 60 minutes and can last for 3-5 hours in total. Eventually, the toxins are released and leave the body via your urine.
Certo is high in fiber and carbohydrates; the latter results in an insulin boost in healthy adults which causes the body to store calories for energy rather than using them. The body also burns or metabolizes fat for energy. When fat-soluble toxins are released from the fat cells, they end up back in the bloodstream, saliva, urine and other fluids. The fast-acting carbs in Certo cause an insulin spike which prevents fat burning for a short period and shuffles the herbal detoxing minerals and nutrients in the concoction.
Finally, Certo absorbs the toxins that are naturally released from the body via stools, urine, and other body fluids. Toxins find it easier to leave the body via fluids but Certo’s fiber absorbs the fluids in your intestines and stomach and this action results in toxin release via solids. Unlike other ‘quick fix’ detoxes, you have to begin the Certo plan 24 hours before the test.
Here’s how the other components of the Certo Drug Test work:
- Water: There is no better natural detox method because when you remain hydrated, the body knows there is no need to retain fluids and begins the process of removing toxins from the body. However, you have to be careful not to drink too much water. Overhydration depletes the minerals found in body fluids so when you consume too much water, you flush out the toxins and nutrients. If a drug test shows a lack of minerals in your urine, questions will be asked.
- Vitamins: Healthy urine contains B vitamins and since the detox process can wash out some nutrients, you need to replenish them to avoid suspicion.
- Creatine: Popularized by bodybuilders, creatine is a mineral found in the body naturally and you normally get enough through fish and red meat. It is present in your urine and once again, detoxing can deplete it so you need to consume some to make your urine look genuine.
Certo Drug Test Instructions
The Certo Drug Test detox is pretty easy to follow. You’ll see a variety of different instructions online; ignore them! This is the method and ingredients most likely to work.
You Will Need
- Two packets of Certo (Sure Jell or Fruit Pectin will do).
- Two x 32oz sports drinks (909 ml x 2). Gatorade is popular.
- Creatine Monohydrate.
- Vitamin B2 (not strictly necessary).
Once you have the above, the steps are pretty simple.
- Drink as much water as you can in the two days or so leading up to the drug test. Water will help flush out your toxins and send what remains to your intestines.
- Mix one packet of Certo with one of the sports drinks. Give the mixture a shake and drink it before going to bed on the night before the drug test.
- On test day, drink as much water as you can about three hours beforehand.
- 1-2 hours before the test, mix the second packet of Certo with the other sports drink.
- Consume it along with the multivitamin and B2.
In theory, the Certo method should keep you toxin free for at least three hours.
If you’re in a hurry, consume a packet of Certo, the 32oz bottle of Gatorade, and a similar amount of water an hour before the test. It won’t work as well as the 24-hour window but it could help you scrape by.
Does Certo Detox Drug Metabolites?
Yes! That’s why it is such a popular detox method for marijuana users trying to pass a urinalysis. As you know, THC is the psychoactive compound in cannabis that’s famed for getting you high. It is one of over 100 identified compounds in weed. THC-COOH is the name of its metabolite so when you consume marijuana or any THC product, your body breaks it down into THC-COOH.
These metabolites begin flowing through your body and bloodstream and while a small amount is expelled, most get absorbed by lipids and it ultimately gets stored as body fat. It remains there until it is gradually re-released into your bloodstream when you metabolize fat for energy. After its re-release, it becomes expelled via your urine, sweat, saliva, and feces. While your body naturally detoxes, the process takes weeks which is bad news for weed users facing a drug test.
This is where Certo comes in handy. Fruit pectin can speed up the detox process and it is effective for users of marijuana, cocaine, and opiates in particular. It is important to note that Certo’s detoxing capabilities are not scientifically proven.
Things to Watch Out for When Purchasing Certo
Don’t waste your money on fancy branding, fruit pectin is all you need and it is widely available in most large grocery stores. The entire method is inexpensive so don’t be fooled into spending cash you don’t need to. There is NO guarantee that the Certo Drug Test detox will work but you will definitely fail if you make one of these mistakes:
- Leaving it too late: Certo takes at least an hour to work and you are best advised to use two doses; one the night before and one around two hours before the test.
- Overhydration: As well as flushing out nutrients, drinking too much water will make you feel ill and you could throw up the Certo mixture.
- Skipping the Sports Drink: The electrolytes in sports drinks are a crucial part of the Certo method.
- Not Using Creatine: Creatine should be found in urine so if you flush it out without replacing it, your test will be flagged.
Final Thoughts on Certo Drug Test Detox
The Certo detox method seems so simple that it’s hard to believe it could work. However, tens of thousands of marijuana users claim they have never failed a drug test when they follow the instructions to the letter. However, there are a number of factors that dictate the effectiveness of the method including your size and fitness, body type, age, metabolism, and marijuana usage.
There is no scientific evidence to back up the claims and cynics believe it is the large volumes of water involved that help people get through drug tests. While it is possible that the fiber in pectin helps temporarily keep toxins from leaving your system via urine, there is also a chance that simply drinking large quantities of liquid dilutes your urine to the point where you can pass a drug test. In any case, use the Certo Drug Test detox method at your peril, and make sure to test it out first!
Let us know how it worked for you.