Anxiety can present itself in many ways, but regardless of which type you may be suffering from it is without a doubt, one of the most debilitating conditions to have. A massive 40 million adults are impacted by Anxiety across America every year, that’s 18% of the U.S. population – so can cannabis help with such a massive issue?
Researchers believe that marijuana consumption can have a huge impact on the way anxiety effects us, and more than that, it is assumed to be much more effective than many pharmaceuticals! In this article, we are going to look at what CBD is and five ways it can help patients suffering from anxiety.
What Is Cannabidiol?
There are over 100 known cannabinoids found within the marijuana plant, Cannabidiol (CBD) has become perhaps the most well known in recent years for its incredible therapeutic benefits in a range of debilitating conditions.
Unlike THC, which is the plant’s other famous compound (the one that gets you high!) CBD is non-psychoactive meaning it does not leave a buzz or high for the user. This has catapulted CBD to the most sought-after cannabinoid for many people.
CBD has been proven to possess an impressive list of attributes such as:
• Anti- Oxidant
As a result of the research done into this versatile compound CBD oil from hemp is now legal in all 50 states of America, and medical cannabis is legal in 30 for the treatment of a list of conditions such as:
How Can CBD Help Anxiety?
There has been a lot of research into the treatments of anxiety, with traditional options such as pharmaceuticals leaving a lot to be desired regarding efficacy, not to mention their highly addictive nature – it was only a matter of time before scientists turned to a more natural solution.
Research has shown that CBD can numb the effects of stress to lower anxiety levels. A study published last year revealed that CBD had the potential to numb the reactive nerves that cause stress. While usually, we feel anxiety as a result of stress that heightens our body’s cortisone levels, CBD works to numb this reaction, which in turn prevents that rise in Cortisone. The study looked at 42 non-cannabis users and 40 cannabis users, the results in those who did not consume cannabis showed high levels of cortisone in comparison to those who were medicated with the herb.
While the range of current anti-anxiety medications is plentiful, there is yet to be an option that comes without any risk of addiction or a lengthy list of risks and side effects. This is where CBD comes in, with no recorded or known risks; CBD is the all-natural solution to anxiety.
One of the most commonly prescribed drugs for anxiety is Benzodiazepines, which is highly addictive and according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse is responsible for more than 30% of related opioid overdoses. This Benzo medication is used to balance the anxiety levels in the brain. However, some studies have shown that CBD can also affect the GABA levels which are responsible for this leveling out process!
A Natural Endocannabinoid Booster
We know from extensive research into the way CBD interacts with our body that it has the ability help produce an increase in natural endocannabinoids, which many scientists believe is a huge factor in anxiety.
Our bodies can provide natural cannabinoids; these are produced by our endocannabinoid system (ECS) which plays a part in regulating our body. The ECS plays a part in almost every aspect of our health from the way we feel pain to hunger, emotion and so much more!
A study done in 2014 revealed that cannabinoid receptors are a massive part of the way we feel emotion. It is believed that when we lack natural cannabinoids, we feel stress and anxiety much more. By introducing CBD to our system, it was found that these feeling of chronic or acute stress could be reduced.
Over the years of research into this subject, it has been revealed that CBD can not just help with one type of anxiety, but in fact has the power to help with almost every type that there is.
- In 2010, a small study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology revealed that CBD had the potential to reduce symptoms of anxiety in patients suffering from Social anxiety disorder (SAD). The study looked at ten patients who suffered from SAD and found that CBD made them feel better as well as altering the way their brain responded to anxiety!
- A 2011 study on social anxiety revealed that CBD could reduce anxiety levels in those individuals even during high-stress social situations. The study looked at 24 patients in a public speaking scenario. Results revealed that after taking CBD, their anxiety was significantly reduced, as well as in improvement in their public speaking and cognitive impairment.
- In a 2015 analysis, researchers looked at CBD’s effects on a range of anxiety disorders. They found that CBD had the potential to work for patients suffering from social anxiety disorder, panic disorder post-traumatic stress disorder, generalized anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Without a doubt, the key reason behind the controversy of marijuana is the psychoactive properties of cannabinoids such as THC. Why many seek to get high, it is not the desired effect for some, especially those who may be looking at the plant for medicinal purposes.
There are all kinds of rumors about how cannabis can affect mental health, and while it is true that heavy use of high-THC strains can irritate an already present anxiety issue, CBD will not.
Cannabidiol has no psychoactive properties; it simply can’t produce a high and therefore makes it a much safer option for patients who are suffering from anxiety or depression.
Final Thoughts on Whether CBD can Help with Anxiety
While some may still not be convinced by CBD, it is hard to argue with the evidence! There are simply too many studies on the subject, and benefits, of this cannabinoid to question its efficacy.
It is for this reason that CBD oil from hemp is legal in all 50 states of the U.S. now! We can only see CBD becoming more mainstream in the future for anxiety sufferers the world over.
- Full-spectrum Hemp extract
- No pesticides, solvents or chemical fertilizers
- 3rd party laboratory tested
- Price Range ($48.00 – $139.00)
- Maximum potency and purity
- Compounded by a licensed pharmacist
- Highly concentrated extraction process
- Price Range ($26-$169)
- Over 5 Years Experience
- 3rd party laboratory tested
- Organic hemp CO2 extract tincture
- Price Range ($62.00 – $204.00)
- CBDPure uses a chemical-free CO2 extraction process
- 3rd party laboratory tested
- Certified hemp grown in Colorado
- Price Range ($29.99 – $79.99)