The name ‘Pennywise’ may strike fear into anyone who has read Stephen King’s It, because it is the name of the killer clown in the story. Fortunately, there is nothing terrifying or homicidal about this particular strain. It is also the name of a little-known punk band.
Pennywise is a new breed of marijuana strain with almost equal amounts of CBD and THC. Far from causing terror, Pennywise could actually help to relieve anxiety and stress.
What is the Pennywise Strain?
Pennywise weed is an indica-dominant hybrid and is a cross of Harlequin and Jack the Ripper. It was created by TGA Subcool Seeds as a medicinal strain due to the high CBD content which counteracts many of the psychoactive effects of THC.
When you light up a joint containing Pennywise, you should get a sweet, peppery wood aroma with a slight coffee taste. It is a pleasingly exotic odor that you’re happy to have in any room in the home.
Pennywise tastes a lot like it smells, but the added fruity lemon flavor is a real delight.
Pennywise’s nugs tend to be tight and dense with dark green leaves, covered in a layer of hairs with a pumpkin-orange hue.
Pennywise Strain Grow Info
One of the great things about Pennywise is that you could complete four separate grows and end up with four different strains! This is because the strain can express itself in one of four phenotypes. While the structure of the buds and the colors of the plant may not be the same, it will be the same Pennywise with the same taste, smell, and potency.
Once you have Pennywise seeds,you can grow indoors or outdoors. We recommend topping your plants at least once during the grow. If you grow this strain inside, it should flower in 8-9 weeks and provide a yield of 12-16 ounces per square meter planted. Pennywise is an excellent strain for growing outdoors because of its high resistance to mold and mildew. It should be ready for harvest by the middle of October and provide up to 16 ounces per plant.
Pennywise THC Content – Highest Test
On average, Pennywise should have a THC content of around 12%, although some tests have discovered versions with a THC level of 15%.
Pennywise CBD Content – Highest Test
Pennywise is one of the few strains around that provides users with a 1:1 CBD to THC ratio. With up to 15% CBD in some cases, it is a highly-sought after marijuana strain in the medical field.
How is Pennywise Likely to Affect Me?
With such a high CBD content, the psychoactive effects of Pennywise are predictably mild. After a few tokes, you should feel a mild cerebral high and an improvement in mood. Most users report feeling focused and clear-minded when using this strain.
Soon enough, the Indica properties of this strain reach the body, and you feel happy and relaxed. Its effects on the body vary depending on the user. For some, the body high hits them quickly, but for others, it is a gradual process.
The sedative properties of this strain can lead to couch lock so even though it is a good daytime strain; it is not the best option if you have chores to do later on. You may even go to sleep once Pennywise’s effects have made their way through your body.
Medical Benefits of Pennywise
The CBD to THC ratio of 1:1 is considered ideal for medicinal purposes by those in the industry. It is often used to treat an array of medical conditions including PTSD, epilepsy, and arthritis. With such an emphasis on its cannabinoids, it is all too easy to ignore Pennywise’s exceptional terpene profile.
The strain contains more than 0.5% of several well-known terpenes. Here is a list of them along with their potential benefits:
- Alpha-Pinene: As you might guess from the name, this terpene is found in pine trees and is responsible for the pine flavor and smell of different strains. Research suggests that alpha-pinene may have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Caryophyllene: This terpene tastes of hops, a relation of marijuana. It is linked with a reduction in stress, anxiety, and depression. For the record, you will end up with more caryophyllene if you grow in soil rather than using a hydroponics system.
- Linalool: You will get a floral scent from this terpene along with a hint of spice. It is linked with an increase in neural function because it modulates gross motor movement. It is also said to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Beta-Myrcene: This is the most abundant terpene in marijuana although it is only the second most abundant in Pennywise. It has an earthy scent and is known to act as a sedative and relaxes muscles.
- Limonene: This terpene is responsible for the lemon scent and taste of Pennywise and is the most abundant terpene in this strain. It is said to help with weight loss, treat bronchial infections, and is used as a treatment for cancer patients.
Possible Side Effects of Pennywise
As is often the case with marijuana, Pennywise use could result in dry eyes and a dry mouth. There is also a chance that you will feel dizzy; this is especially the case if you are a newbie. As the effects are mild on the whole, it is all too easy to make the mistake of overindulging which may lead to dizziness and headaches. There is also a chance that you’ll have a case of the munchies.
Final Thoughts on Pennywise
In the end, the strain with the killer name is a pretty mild one. With a THC content of no more than 15%, and a CBD to THC ratio of 1:1, it is unlikely that Pennywise will overwhelm experienced users. It is one of the best medicinal marijuana strains on the market and can potentially treat numerous medical conditions including anxiety disorders and arthritis. Although it won’t get you too high, it will probably help you go to sleep, so make sure you use it in the evening or at night.