Marijuana is truly a miracle plant, and now, more than ever, more and more studies are finding that it is helping to cure many different illnesses and medical conditions.
Apart from the medical aspects, it also has that “killer” substance that everyone adores. C’mon who doesn’t love a little bit of THC to chill-out and relieve the stress, after a long day at work.
The problem is that smoking too much marijuana has been known to cause bad breath. This is due to the xerostomia side effect, colloquially referred to as “Cotton Mouth.” This happens as THC prevents Saliva from forming in your mouth, which creates the perfect environment for odor-causing bacteria.
Saliva is kind of like your mouths defense system. Produced in salivary glands, saliva is 98% water, but it contains many important substances, including electrolytes, mucus, antibacterial compounds and various enzymes. If you are not producing an adequate amount of saliva, bad breath is almost always sure to follow.
How to Know if You’re On Your Way to Bad Breath
First and foremost it is imperative to keep up with your dental hygiene. Before bad breath appears you’ll probably notice:
- Changed sense of taste. Food simply won’t taste the same
- Your mouth with constantly feel dry
- It will be hard to swallow
- You’ll look in the mirror and see lots of dental plaque
- Corners of your lips will become dry
The main thing to look out for is a Dry Mouth. Remember to constantly stay hydrated and try not to drink sugary drinks as they will dehydrate your mouth even more.
Tips to Avoid Bad Breath and Not Cut Back on Weed
- If you are using a vape, bong or any other contraption, clean it well. Mold or bacteria love to linger around them. They then spread to your mouth next time you take a puff.
- Avoid consuming sugary foods after you smoke marijuana. If you do get the munchies, make sure you are eating foods with antioxidants as eating too many sugary foods can contribute to cotton mouth.
- Instead of smoking weed, eat it. Nowadays there is a variety of options that allow you to consume marijuana. Eating it can be much more effective and also won’t have such an impact on your breath.
Got any other useful tips, feel free to share them on our Facebook page.