If you are a New Yorker and in need for a medical marijuana card then this comprehensive guide is for you.
Here’s All You Need to Know:
As a Resident of New York, What is the Process
1. The first step to getting a medical marijuana card in the state of New York is to obtain your medical records and get a signed physician’s statement from a physician, licensed to practice medicine in New York.
Please note, to get an MMJ card you MUST be a resident of the state of New York. You will need to provide proof of residency, for example, a New York I.D, passport or another photo I.D
2. Once you have your document from a registered physician, you must register with the Medical Marijuana program through DOH’s online Patient Registration System. There are two ways to go about this
- You can ask your doctor to do this. Most will oblige.
- You can submit your applications through the site or by using their contact form.
Once you’ve submitted your information, it will typically take the standard 7-10 business days for your medical marijuana card to arrive in the mail.
What are the Costs Involved?
The costs to apply for the medical marijuana program is $50. This is a non-refundable application fee.
You may also encounter other costs from your physician and can range from $50-$199.
What are Conditions Required to Receive a Medical Marijuana Card?
According to the New York State Medical Marijuana Program patients in New York diagnosed with one of the following severe, debilitating, or life-threatening medical conditions, are afforded legal protection under New York’s medical marijuana law, as per Assembly Bill 6357:
- Positive status for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable Spasticity, Epilepsy, Inflammatory Bowel Disease(IBD), neuropathies and Huntington’s Disease
Patients who suffer from a severe debilitating or life-threatening condition or any of the following conditions may be entitled to medical marijuana:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Severe nausea
- Severe or persistent muscle spasms
- Severe or chronic pain
My Card has Expired. How Do I Get a Renewal?
Similar to most states the process is the same as obtaining a card.
Related Article: 3 Ways to Get a Medical Marijuana Card Online (in Minutes)
Can I take My Meds to a Different State?
Who Can Use Medical Marijuana?
To use Medical Marijuana you must be above the age of 21. If you are under 21, a parent or legal guardian can make the application for you as a designated caregiver.
Can I use Medical Marijuana Anywhere?
It is important to remember that when smoking in public, it may be assumed that you are using it for recreational use, which is illegal on a Federal Level. It is advised to consume your medicine responsibly, in the safety of your home or in a private residence.
Related Article: How to Get Your Medical Marijuana Card By State
How Much Should I consume?
We are not doctors or physicians and therefore you should always consult with a professional before using.
If I am Not Approved in New York, What Should I do?
Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do due to current federal laws. Located North to New York is Massachusetts. In the state of Massachusetts marijuana can be purchased without any major restrictions. It is important to remember that you will have to consume it sensibly in the state of purchase. Although Massachusetts is classed as a recreational state, it is still illegal on a Federal level.
If you have any other questions, feel free to view our New York FAQ page or contact us through our Facebook.
Found this post informative? Help us get it in front of people who need the information by SHARING the post.