Few things in this world beat a cozy night in curled up in front of a wonderful film or television show. Even best when surrounded by loved ones and dear friends. One step up from this scenario? Imagine a massive bowl full of… no, not ganja. Even better – your very own homemade 420 popcorn. Infused with plenty of THC and perfect for sharing, this marijuana treat is not only a yummy snack, but it also satisfies any needs for herb.
A lovely combination of crunch, salt, and ganja, it is pretty hard to go wrong with this cannabis-friendly popcorn.
Our straightforward recipe is one of the easiest ways to prepare 420 popcorn, but you’ll need to make sure that you have a batch of cannabis butter (cannabutter) on hand, for this is the core ingredient used to give the popcorn its reefer punch.
Cannabis butter typically requires about 4 hours to prepare, so block out enough time so that you can make this marijuana edibles staple ingredient, unless, of course, you happen to already have some ready.
How to Make Cannabis Butter in 5 Easy Steps
(If you already have some available, you can skip this altogether.)
If you’d prefer to see all of this information in a separate, extremely detailed article that also describes some alternatives, learn how to make cannabutter here.
First, the cooking ratio: Utilize approximately 1 cup of butter (2 US standard sticks) for every ½ ounce of your 420.
What you’ll need to do in order to get the process rolling:
- Begin by spreading your ground nuggets, shake, or trim evenly onto a baking sheet with baking paper. Preheat your oven to 240 Degrees Fahrenheit/115 Degrees Celsius, and bake for about 40-50 minutes. This process is known as decarbing the weed, and it’s done in order to activate the THC so that a high can actually be felt.
- In a pan, heat up 1-2 quarts of water and allow this to get hot. Once ready, throw in your sticks of butter. Melt the butter.
- Once melted, add in the buds. Stir the mixture. Allow it to cook on your lowest heat setting for 2½-3½ hours.
- Take the mixture off of the stove and let it slightly cool. Take a cheesecloth and place it over a bowl big enough to hold your batch of butter. Pour the mixture over the cheesecloth and into the bowl carefully. Wrap the cheesecloth and give it a squeeze to extract any remaining oil.
- Let the mixture cool for about 45 minutes, then place it in the fridge to cool further. When you put this THC laden concoction in the fridge, over time the top layer will rise apart from the water. This is the part you are going to peel off once it’s completely separated. Be sure all extra water is scraped off and store your fresh reefer extract in a jar or air-tight container for easy access next time you intend to cook with cannabutter.
Here’s How to Make Cannabis Popcorn
Now that your cannabutter is ready, you’re good to go. It’s popcorn making time! The wonderful news is, making cannabis popcorn is an extremely easy process. Honestly, once you have the cannabis butter, it does not take long to have your yummy ganja snack prepared.
Here’s the process:
Ingredients for Cannabis Popcorn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Once you’ve rounded up all of the needed ingredients, it’s time to get cookin’!
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 1
Heat the peanut oil in a 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Throw in 3-4 individual popcorn kernels. Once the 3-4 kernels have popped, your oil is at the right heat to add in the remaining of your kernels. Pour in the popcorn kernels and sprinkle salt to lightly cover them. Add the butter and 1/2 of the portion of cannabutter to the pot and cover with a lid.
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 2
Once the kernels start to pop, shake the pan back and forth. This will slow down the popping and prevent you from burning parts of the popcorn. Once the pops are about 2 seconds apart, remove from the heat and pour into a serving bowl.
Making 420 Popcorn: Step 3
Taste your popcorn to make sure it has the crunch and flavor you desire. After you’ve poured the popped kernels into a large serving bowl, coat the snack with the remaining 1/2 portion of your cannabutter and give it a solid mix so that the oil coats all of the pieces as evenly as possible. If you’re desiring a much bigger kick and intend to get extremely baked, pour even more of the melted cannabutter over your popcorn. The more you add, the higher you’re bound to get. Coat with salt if desired as well.
A Helpful Tip
There are many ways to spice up the flavor of your popcorn; you don’t only need to settle for salt and oil. For example, if you’re into savory tastes, add in an equal portion of brown sugar and sea salt. This combination is extremely delicious and the brown sugar melts from the heat of the popcorn producing an oozy sweet and salty combination that greatly mimics kettle corn.
Once you’ve made the popcorn, kick back and relax with one of our movie recommendations:
4 Surprisingly Great Movies to Watch While You’re Stoned
Our Final Thoughts on Making Homemade 420 Popcorn
Next time you want to amp up your cozy night-in either alone, with a loved one, or with friends, this is the perfect way to add a ganja twist to your evening, or even day if you’re feeling adventurous.
Cannabis popcorn is a super simple way to receive a sizeable dose of THC and other helpful cannabis cannabinoids, all while acting as a light and tasty snack that’ll hold you over until dinner or complement any post-dinner cravings.
Although this 420 popcorn is absolutely delectable, you may want to fill up your stomach with some more substantial cannabis-infused dishes to maximize your high and experience.